Monday, May 28, 2007

What Do I Do With My Life?

Written by Evelyn from Homespun Honolulu


Everyone has those moments when they think about the one thing they could have done or should have done. I know I have a couple of things that some to mind from the past. “What if I had turned the other way?” or the host of I-shouldn’t-have-done-that’s that we all have.

If you look at the big picture and wait long enough some of those what ifs work their way out. Then you can say, “I made the right choice,” or “Right now I would be…” or something equally enlightening. Over time you may find that you’ve avoided a host of other pains that would have taken their toll on the person you are now. Obviously it might also go the other way and that’s when regret sets in so we only hope for the right decision at the right time!

Personally, I started out with a plan! At the age of ten I had made my decision. I was going to be a veterinarian. There was no question, no doubts and no arguments. No doubts that is until the second year of college chemistry. Ugh! I hadn’t even touched the physics requirement yet and I hated that in high school. Now throw in the labs and caloric calculations of animal feed and I have just about had it! I failed the first exam in animal nutrition class. That’s it, now I have had it!

“What am I going to do?” I cried to my mother on the phone.

“What do you want to do?” was her reply.

College was something I had to complete. I couldn’t leave it. I had to do something! Where were my best grades? Must find those report cards and the grades received to date! Would it be history like both of my parents? Hell no! The best grades were in… English. Okay so I will major in English. I managed to pull a “C” out of that Animal Nutrition course but it wasn’t easy!

But, vet school is what I wanted to do! What am I going to do with an English major? Be a teacher too? Just like my parents? A change in major can cost you an extra year of college if you don’t do it soon enough. After five years and my whole life already in school, I wanted to move on to more than another two years of school in the College of Education!

Now I look at those college choices and know I couldn’t have been happy as a veterinarian. I would not be happy dealing with the human element, the grief of lost pets, and money thrown out the window on vet bills with only a carcass to show for it. I know that sounds crude but I have had to deal with that myself. It hurts! My point here is that dealing with my own pain is easier for me when I don’t have to deal with the pain of others – the other people’s pain hurts more. Would I be making more money? Oh yeah! But I don’t think I would be happy and money can’t fix a person on the inside.

To live life and say you have no regrets would either be a lie, self-denial or just plain arrogant. We all have them guys; get over it. Love yourself and love life – there’s no other one like the one you’ve got! Did I make the right choice where my profession was concerned? I can comfortably say yes. If I hadn’t I wouldn’t be mucking around the blogosphere and talking to you guys. Now THAT would not be acceptable! I’ve finally got a use for that damn English major! I told you these things work their way out if you give them time.

Evelyn from Homespun Honolulu shares thoughts about the past while thinking of the next item to share with her readers, something that represents a unique and different look at Honolulu. Not what you might expect from what you’ve seen or heard from the tourist industry.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

IMO, I think not having regrets is actually the opposite of arrogant, it's accepting that fate exists and that eventually we wind up on the path we *should* be on. You said yourself you'd not have been happy as a vet, so do you regret not becoming one? Or do you accept the choices you have made that caused you to avoid that unhappiness?

Food for thought :)

Maude Lynn said...

I remember that feeling: if I don't pick the absolute perfect major I'll ruin my life forever!

Not From Lapland said...

Life plans. Wow, do people really make those?

I've never been that organized.

Sprite said...

Surviving Motherhood, I thought my life was all decided. I guess when you're ten you can do that. I learned long ago that life ideas are great but life plans, while nice, are usually futile. :)

Anonymous said...

Life plans? My plans were stupid, my life is far from the world I'd planned as defender of justice. I'm much happier breaking up brotherly fights, scraping mud off the floors, exploring life through the eyes of my boys and getting tons of love and hugs.

Glad you're also happy with your altered plans.

Sprite said...

Congrats, Melody! There are no plans that can come close to what you describe! :)

Featured Post and Blog of the Week



You Are Here

by Amie from
MammaLoves...


You did well in school to get into college. You tried to get by well enough in college to be attractive to an employer or graduate program, and along the way you may have opened your heart a time or two. Maybe you even found true love.

With a foot in the door, the first years of work were the time to
prove your mettle once again. Promotions, raises all with the goal to secure your future will allow you to settle down, buy a house, travel, commit to a relationship, have kids or not. In what feels like a blink of an eye, your future is here.

And now what?


Read the full post...

Chance Favors Only Those Who Court Her

by Debbie from Missives from Suburbia


After a less-than-friendly divorce, I was on the market again. Seizing the opportunity, my friends scoured their address books and Palm Pilots for single men and set me up on blind date after blind date. My reaction to most of those dates was, "I call these people my FRIENDS?" One of my real friends suggested Match.com, and given how much I love the Internet, I gave it a go.

A couple months of e-dating passed by in a blink. It was fun, but so far nothing meaningful had hit my radar, and my match inventory was starting to run low. You see, Match.com "matches" you to people based on a list of your requirements, and I'd pretty much run through all my existing matches who didn't seem psycho or stoned, based on their profiles.

Then, one day, I got an email from a guy who was not a match by my standards...

Read the full post...

A Lost Opportunity

by John from Altjiranga Mitjina


Trying to break in as a writer in the comic book industry can be a bit like the one legged man in a butt kicking contest. Every step forward you make means you land on your butt after your kick forward. Comic books are a visual medium. An artist can bring a portfolio to an editor at a convention and said editor can sit there and look at it within minutes and decide if this artist is worthy of working on the newest issue of Stupendous Man or not. Trying being a hopeful writer handing over a script to this same editor at a busy comic convention. You’ll be lucky if the editor agrees to take the script and promise that they’ll look at it later. Most times the hopeful writer is told to send for their submission guidelines and mail in their proposal.

The best way for a writer is to find an aspiring artist and hook up...

Read the full post...

Jesus Toothpaste!

by Karen Rayne from Adolescent Sexuality Today with Karen Rayne, Ph.D.


This weekend I went out of town, leaving my family to fend for themselves. On Saturday, my darling husband took my two darling daughters – 6 and 3 years old – to what he heard was a fun new toy store in town. Great, right?

They walk in the door, and the 6-year-old pipes up with “Look, Daddy! Jesus toothpaste!” He takes one look, puts one hand on each girl’s shoulder, and does a 180 out of the store. It may be a fun new toy store, but it’s intended clientele does not include the under-13 set.

When I got home on Sunday, the first thing the 6-year-old says to me was, “Guess what! We saw Jesus toothpaste!” I blinked, figuring I hadn’t heard her correctly. Regrettably, I had...

Read the full post...

A biker, a green thumb, a cracked hand, and a Queen.

by Megan from Velveteen Mind, originally guest posted at Queen of Spain


A random biker on a Harley-Davidson took my picture last week. What I wanted to do was take his picture, but I hesitated. Now, instead of a photo of some random biker holding an i am bossy.com bumper sticker, all I have is a lame photo of me holding the bumper sticker and the mental picture of him riding off into the sunset, never to be seen again.

Okay, it wasn’t as romantic or dramatic as that. It was nine in the morning and there was no sunset.

This is not the first time that I have hesitated to seize an opportunity. I don’t expect it will be the last. However, I hope with each lost chance for something intriguing, I will lose a shade of that hesitation for next time...

Read the full post...