Sunday, June 25, 2006

Our Writers

Writers of our music column Voices to Hear



John from Altjiranga Mitjina

read all of Johns posts




Our Blog Reviewers


Sara from In The Trenches of Mommyhood


Read all of Sara's posts







Three Bright Stars


Read all of Liz's posts







Omega Mom from 3 Kids No Job


Read all of Omega Mom's posts






Meg from Simply nutmeg

Read all of Meg's posts








All of our other brilliant writers



Lady MacLeod from Braveheart Does The Maghreb

Read all of Lady MacLeod's posts








Lori from Gal-Lori

Read all of Lori's posts







Jennifer from Get in the Car!

Read all of Jennifer's posts






Evelyn from Homespun Honolulu

Read all of Evelyn's posts








Karen from Karen Shanley: Author mom with dogs

Read all of Karen's posts






The Good Woman from My Wee Scottish Blog

Read all of The Good Woman's posts







Lill from News from Hawkhill Acres

Read all of Lill's posts







Reluctant Memsahib

Read all of Reluctant Memhasib's posts







Sense and Sensibilities

Read all of Sense and Sensibilities posts








Sunny with a Chance of Clouds


Read all of Sunny with a Chance of Rain's posts






Melody from Slurping Life

Read all of Melody's posts








Lara David from Life: The Ongoing Education

Read all of Lara David's posts







Emma from Mommy Has A headache

Read all of Emma's posts







Liz from Spoonfed

Read all of Liz's posts








Pickel from My Two Boys

Read all of Pickel's posts







Mommyvents

Read all of Mommyvents' posts







Desert Songbrid from The Ice box

Read all of Desert Songbird's posts







The Wink

Read all of The Winks posts








Mama Zen from The Zen of Motherhood

Read all Mama Zen's posts







Megan from Velveteen Mind

Read all of Megan's posts







Things in Your Head

Read all of Things in your Head's posts







Ian from The Expectant Father

Read all of Ian's posts







J from Thinking About

Read all of J's posts







Keta from Storybook

Read all of Keta's posts







Phara from Your Mirror or mine

Read all of Phara's posts







Chelise from Whispered Like Prayers

Read all of Chelise's posts






BetteJo from A Bead A Day

Read all of BetteJo's posts






The Misssy M Misssives

Read all of Misssy's posts







Sparks and Butterflies

Read all of Sparks and Butterflies posts







The Birds and The Beads

Read all of The Birds and The Beads posts







New Marriages Old Families
Read all of New Marriages Old Families posts








Diary of a Housewife
Read all of Diary of a Housewife's posts








This Eclectic Life

Read all of this Eclectic Life's posts







Not that I Don't Love My Kids

Read all of Not That I Don't Love My Kids posts.






Adolescent Sexuality Today with Karen Rayne.

Read all of Karen's posts






Hex My Ex: Dabis, Improbe Poenas!

Read all of Hex My Ex's posts







Boogiemum

Read all of Boogiemum's posts

Featured Post and Blog of the Week



You Are Here

by Amie from
MammaLoves...


You did well in school to get into college. You tried to get by well enough in college to be attractive to an employer or graduate program, and along the way you may have opened your heart a time or two. Maybe you even found true love.

With a foot in the door, the first years of work were the time to
prove your mettle once again. Promotions, raises all with the goal to secure your future will allow you to settle down, buy a house, travel, commit to a relationship, have kids or not. In what feels like a blink of an eye, your future is here.

And now what?


Read the full post...

Chance Favors Only Those Who Court Her

by Debbie from Missives from Suburbia


After a less-than-friendly divorce, I was on the market again. Seizing the opportunity, my friends scoured their address books and Palm Pilots for single men and set me up on blind date after blind date. My reaction to most of those dates was, "I call these people my FRIENDS?" One of my real friends suggested Match.com, and given how much I love the Internet, I gave it a go.

A couple months of e-dating passed by in a blink. It was fun, but so far nothing meaningful had hit my radar, and my match inventory was starting to run low. You see, Match.com "matches" you to people based on a list of your requirements, and I'd pretty much run through all my existing matches who didn't seem psycho or stoned, based on their profiles.

Then, one day, I got an email from a guy who was not a match by my standards...

Read the full post...

A Lost Opportunity

by John from Altjiranga Mitjina


Trying to break in as a writer in the comic book industry can be a bit like the one legged man in a butt kicking contest. Every step forward you make means you land on your butt after your kick forward. Comic books are a visual medium. An artist can bring a portfolio to an editor at a convention and said editor can sit there and look at it within minutes and decide if this artist is worthy of working on the newest issue of Stupendous Man or not. Trying being a hopeful writer handing over a script to this same editor at a busy comic convention. You’ll be lucky if the editor agrees to take the script and promise that they’ll look at it later. Most times the hopeful writer is told to send for their submission guidelines and mail in their proposal.

The best way for a writer is to find an aspiring artist and hook up...

Read the full post...

Jesus Toothpaste!

by Karen Rayne from Adolescent Sexuality Today with Karen Rayne, Ph.D.


This weekend I went out of town, leaving my family to fend for themselves. On Saturday, my darling husband took my two darling daughters – 6 and 3 years old – to what he heard was a fun new toy store in town. Great, right?

They walk in the door, and the 6-year-old pipes up with “Look, Daddy! Jesus toothpaste!” He takes one look, puts one hand on each girl’s shoulder, and does a 180 out of the store. It may be a fun new toy store, but it’s intended clientele does not include the under-13 set.

When I got home on Sunday, the first thing the 6-year-old says to me was, “Guess what! We saw Jesus toothpaste!” I blinked, figuring I hadn’t heard her correctly. Regrettably, I had...

Read the full post...

A biker, a green thumb, a cracked hand, and a Queen.

by Megan from Velveteen Mind, originally guest posted at Queen of Spain


A random biker on a Harley-Davidson took my picture last week. What I wanted to do was take his picture, but I hesitated. Now, instead of a photo of some random biker holding an i am bossy.com bumper sticker, all I have is a lame photo of me holding the bumper sticker and the mental picture of him riding off into the sunset, never to be seen again.

Okay, it wasn’t as romantic or dramatic as that. It was nine in the morning and there was no sunset.

This is not the first time that I have hesitated to seize an opportunity. I don’t expect it will be the last. However, I hope with each lost chance for something intriguing, I will lose a shade of that hesitation for next time...

Read the full post...