Monday, April 2, 2007

Cafe Terrace At Night

Written by Mr Big W from Working Without A Net



One would usually think of Paris or a similar French town or village upon seeing Van Gogh’s ‘Café Terrace at Night.’ Me? Not so much. The first thing that came to mind for me was a weekend spent in Lucerne, Switzerland nearly 20 years ago.

I was dating a lovely Swiss girl while stationed in Neu Ulm, Germany, back in the early 90s. We would see each other on weekends whenever she came to visit several friends in the area. She invited me and a few of my friends to visit her at her parents’ home – a stunning condo with views of Lake Lucerne and the Alps, specifically Mounts Pilatus and Riga. The views from the balcony were (and I am limited in my ability to provide an accurate description) awe-inspiring to say the least. I half-expected Julie Andrews to be running down the hillside singing about hills being alive and filled with music. I think we even sang a quick rendition of do, re, mi while quaffing pints of heffeweiss.

Our first night in town was spent at a local gasthaus drinking and just enjoying the time away from our barracks. I really just remember not having to be anywhere or do anything and relishing in the moment. The following morning, after a continental breakfast of fruits and breads and strong, strong coffee, we made our way downtown, where we spent several hours just walking around; our hosts providing an impromptu tour. I may be biased but I imagine no one had prettier or friendlier guides than the four of us.

Around midday, we stopped along the Reuss River to take in the scenery. For a mid-February day, it was very mild and rather than sit inside one of the establishments lining the river, we opted to take our drinks river-side. Time passed at once very slowly as we took in everything around us and quickly as we realized we had been sitting there for over three hours. We talked about everything and nothing. We remarked that there were no ugly people in this town – everyone was a GQ or Elle cover model – and how they must all be stopped at the German border. Swans swam their way up to us, boldly searching out snacks and posing for pictures. We even got caught up in a Fasching parade that ran the length of the river. I imagine we were a fairly amusing sight to everyone sitting at the outside cafes.

We walked around more and made our way to that hill I expected to see Julie on and staged our own re-enactment. I have mentioned we spent three hours drinking, right? Back at the condo, we had a delicious dinner and spent the remainder of the evening out on the balcony drinking coffee and admiring the view.

We left the next morning, dreading the return to the dreariness of our military lives. It was one of the best weekends I ever spent while in the army. It was filled with good food, good drink and, most importantly, good friends. And that is why, nearly 20 years later, I remember it as if it were yesterday.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story! I know how those memories can really stick with you, especially when taken in stark contrast to (mostly) boring military life...

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful description! Thanks for sharing and congrats on the feature piece!!

Anonymous said...

Great, story..., for me the picture is what I picture a back street of Paris, a city I've never been too, my son and his girlfriend spent the summer in paris 2 years ago and sure enough he took pictures of corners and cafes that look like that painting today...of course his pictures were'nt blurry!!

Top Blog Mag said...

Thank you for giving us such a lovely story, it brought back some rather hazy drunken memories of Fasching in Saas Fee.

Danielle said...

Thanks for sharing such a lovely story. I froze up a little equating the early nineties with twenty years ago.

tere616.blogspot.com said...

It was a touch lovely story. Trying to picture your life at that time ...

Featured Post and Blog of the Week



You Are Here

by Amie from
MammaLoves...


You did well in school to get into college. You tried to get by well enough in college to be attractive to an employer or graduate program, and along the way you may have opened your heart a time or two. Maybe you even found true love.

With a foot in the door, the first years of work were the time to
prove your mettle once again. Promotions, raises all with the goal to secure your future will allow you to settle down, buy a house, travel, commit to a relationship, have kids or not. In what feels like a blink of an eye, your future is here.

And now what?


Read the full post...

Chance Favors Only Those Who Court Her

by Debbie from Missives from Suburbia


After a less-than-friendly divorce, I was on the market again. Seizing the opportunity, my friends scoured their address books and Palm Pilots for single men and set me up on blind date after blind date. My reaction to most of those dates was, "I call these people my FRIENDS?" One of my real friends suggested Match.com, and given how much I love the Internet, I gave it a go.

A couple months of e-dating passed by in a blink. It was fun, but so far nothing meaningful had hit my radar, and my match inventory was starting to run low. You see, Match.com "matches" you to people based on a list of your requirements, and I'd pretty much run through all my existing matches who didn't seem psycho or stoned, based on their profiles.

Then, one day, I got an email from a guy who was not a match by my standards...

Read the full post...

A Lost Opportunity

by John from Altjiranga Mitjina


Trying to break in as a writer in the comic book industry can be a bit like the one legged man in a butt kicking contest. Every step forward you make means you land on your butt after your kick forward. Comic books are a visual medium. An artist can bring a portfolio to an editor at a convention and said editor can sit there and look at it within minutes and decide if this artist is worthy of working on the newest issue of Stupendous Man or not. Trying being a hopeful writer handing over a script to this same editor at a busy comic convention. You’ll be lucky if the editor agrees to take the script and promise that they’ll look at it later. Most times the hopeful writer is told to send for their submission guidelines and mail in their proposal.

The best way for a writer is to find an aspiring artist and hook up...

Read the full post...

Jesus Toothpaste!

by Karen Rayne from Adolescent Sexuality Today with Karen Rayne, Ph.D.


This weekend I went out of town, leaving my family to fend for themselves. On Saturday, my darling husband took my two darling daughters – 6 and 3 years old – to what he heard was a fun new toy store in town. Great, right?

They walk in the door, and the 6-year-old pipes up with “Look, Daddy! Jesus toothpaste!” He takes one look, puts one hand on each girl’s shoulder, and does a 180 out of the store. It may be a fun new toy store, but it’s intended clientele does not include the under-13 set.

When I got home on Sunday, the first thing the 6-year-old says to me was, “Guess what! We saw Jesus toothpaste!” I blinked, figuring I hadn’t heard her correctly. Regrettably, I had...

Read the full post...

A biker, a green thumb, a cracked hand, and a Queen.

by Megan from Velveteen Mind, originally guest posted at Queen of Spain


A random biker on a Harley-Davidson took my picture last week. What I wanted to do was take his picture, but I hesitated. Now, instead of a photo of some random biker holding an i am bossy.com bumper sticker, all I have is a lame photo of me holding the bumper sticker and the mental picture of him riding off into the sunset, never to be seen again.

Okay, it wasn’t as romantic or dramatic as that. It was nine in the morning and there was no sunset.

This is not the first time that I have hesitated to seize an opportunity. I don’t expect it will be the last. However, I hope with each lost chance for something intriguing, I will lose a shade of that hesitation for next time...

Read the full post...