Monday, August 27, 2007

Orange You Glad I Didn't Say Banana?

written by Melody of Slurping Life

Images

The color orange predisposes me to visions of fat, round pumpkins followed closely by thoughts of hag-like witches. Because of my prejudice against the color, I certainly have never worn orange clothing. Who wants to be viewed as a fat, orange hag. In my narrow vision the color orange has always been somewhat insipid and reserved only for the trimmings of Halloween and Thanksgiving. Thinking of myself as an open-minded person and not wanting to be considered narrow-minded, I did a little reading and contemplating about the color orange.

Being a citrus color, orange is associated with healthy food, but did you know it stimulates appetite? Orange is also the color of fall and harvest. It's one of those conspiracy things. You go to Fall festivals where there are tons of greasy fried dough artery clogging look at me and gain weight delicious food, and you gorge yourself on a delicacy called funnel cake (not that I've done this). The conversation goes, "Look at the beautiful arrangement of fall flowers and pumpkins? The fall colors are so pretty and....oh honey, let's each get a funnel cake." Orange's fault.

Orange is a very visible color used to catch attention and highlight important elements of design. Orange is a very effective color for marketing. Think about toys. The packaging is a virtual palette of circus colors with orange leading the ploy to suck a child into a hypnotic trance of drooling desire. This trance is broken only by the stern parental voice calmly stating no, which leads to wails of "I WANT THAT TOY!" as the child commences head banging against the nearest firm surface followed by writhing in the aisle. Thereby, orange is a highly effective marketing tool to increase pharmaceutical sales for Prozac.

Veering away from the negative aspects of orange, it turns out orange is a very hot color highly accepted among young people. Orange increases the oxygen supply to the brain producing an invigorating effect while stimulating mental energy. Team orange with a vibrant shade of pink, and you are mentally transported back to the psychedelic decade of the sixties. Hmmmmm. Orange is a stimulant...viewing the color orange gives a mental high, or at the very least produces a caffeine-like buzz. When worn with a vibrant shade of pink, orange makes you look like a hippie. Feeling groovy...make love not war...peace...cool.

It appears I haven't been completely justified in shunning the color orange. But when I see orange, it's so dang hard to get visions of pumpkins out of my head. Orange combines the energy of red and the happiness of yellow. It invokes thoughts of sunshine and the tropics. Orange symbolizes enthusiasm, fascination, happiness, creativity, determination, attraction, success, encouragement, and stimulation. Plus I found this. Some genius has developed a brief online quiz -What Color Orange Are You? Having come this far in my quest to vindicate orange I was not going to stop short. I completed the quiz. My results...I'm a true, bright orange...no variance in shade...

You Are Orange
Bright and intense, you embrace the world and all its opportunities.
Change does not intimidate you, even if it's a complete life overhaul.
You're a very real person. You aren't scared to show the world who you are.
Dare to find out...
What Color Orange Are You?

In light of my quiz results I'll bet you're asking, "Orange you glad you gave the color a chance?"

Melody embraces the thrills and chills of mothering four sons. She and her husband raised one son to the age of accountability, but the fun's not over. They adopted three more sons. The three younger boys with their zest for life promise to keep Melody busy until death...theirs or hers, whichever comes first. Visit Melody at Slurping Life.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a "cameo." That's nice. It says, "You are understanding and very empathetic.
You don't tend to have acquaintances. Everyone is your friend.
And all of your friends tend to be friends. You have a knack for bringing very different people together." Well, the last sentence is true. Well, "Cameo" in my mind, means peach-colored. I really do like the description. But, I STILL HATE orange! :) You hit it right on the head with your first paragraph! :) Still grinning and thanking the world that I am NOT the only one who loathes this color! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Evelyn, I LOL when I was assigned orange. I have never ever liked orange...except the fruit. I could not for the life of me come up with a life experience tied to orange. It seems they have all been blocked from my mind.

Christina said...

So I'm NOT the only person that hates the color orange?! I've always found it garish and...well, ugly! My MIL had me paint her kitchen orange once, tho.

BTW, I'm camero. :o)

Anonymous said...

Christina, I agree that you are "cameo". BTW, how did you look at the orange paint long enough to do the entire kitchen?

Jen E said...

I am a cameo also. I just can't hate orange because I love autumn. The two go hand in hand!

The Farmers Wife said...

I'm with Jen, orange to me is the beautiful colours the trees turn in autumn.

Wouldn't want it on my kitchen walls though all the same ;)

Featured Post and Blog of the Week



You Are Here

by Amie from
MammaLoves...


You did well in school to get into college. You tried to get by well enough in college to be attractive to an employer or graduate program, and along the way you may have opened your heart a time or two. Maybe you even found true love.

With a foot in the door, the first years of work were the time to
prove your mettle once again. Promotions, raises all with the goal to secure your future will allow you to settle down, buy a house, travel, commit to a relationship, have kids or not. In what feels like a blink of an eye, your future is here.

And now what?


Read the full post...

Chance Favors Only Those Who Court Her

by Debbie from Missives from Suburbia


After a less-than-friendly divorce, I was on the market again. Seizing the opportunity, my friends scoured their address books and Palm Pilots for single men and set me up on blind date after blind date. My reaction to most of those dates was, "I call these people my FRIENDS?" One of my real friends suggested Match.com, and given how much I love the Internet, I gave it a go.

A couple months of e-dating passed by in a blink. It was fun, but so far nothing meaningful had hit my radar, and my match inventory was starting to run low. You see, Match.com "matches" you to people based on a list of your requirements, and I'd pretty much run through all my existing matches who didn't seem psycho or stoned, based on their profiles.

Then, one day, I got an email from a guy who was not a match by my standards...

Read the full post...

A Lost Opportunity

by John from Altjiranga Mitjina


Trying to break in as a writer in the comic book industry can be a bit like the one legged man in a butt kicking contest. Every step forward you make means you land on your butt after your kick forward. Comic books are a visual medium. An artist can bring a portfolio to an editor at a convention and said editor can sit there and look at it within minutes and decide if this artist is worthy of working on the newest issue of Stupendous Man or not. Trying being a hopeful writer handing over a script to this same editor at a busy comic convention. You’ll be lucky if the editor agrees to take the script and promise that they’ll look at it later. Most times the hopeful writer is told to send for their submission guidelines and mail in their proposal.

The best way for a writer is to find an aspiring artist and hook up...

Read the full post...

Jesus Toothpaste!

by Karen Rayne from Adolescent Sexuality Today with Karen Rayne, Ph.D.


This weekend I went out of town, leaving my family to fend for themselves. On Saturday, my darling husband took my two darling daughters – 6 and 3 years old – to what he heard was a fun new toy store in town. Great, right?

They walk in the door, and the 6-year-old pipes up with “Look, Daddy! Jesus toothpaste!” He takes one look, puts one hand on each girl’s shoulder, and does a 180 out of the store. It may be a fun new toy store, but it’s intended clientele does not include the under-13 set.

When I got home on Sunday, the first thing the 6-year-old says to me was, “Guess what! We saw Jesus toothpaste!” I blinked, figuring I hadn’t heard her correctly. Regrettably, I had...

Read the full post...

A biker, a green thumb, a cracked hand, and a Queen.

by Megan from Velveteen Mind, originally guest posted at Queen of Spain


A random biker on a Harley-Davidson took my picture last week. What I wanted to do was take his picture, but I hesitated. Now, instead of a photo of some random biker holding an i am bossy.com bumper sticker, all I have is a lame photo of me holding the bumper sticker and the mental picture of him riding off into the sunset, never to be seen again.

Okay, it wasn’t as romantic or dramatic as that. It was nine in the morning and there was no sunset.

This is not the first time that I have hesitated to seize an opportunity. I don’t expect it will be the last. However, I hope with each lost chance for something intriguing, I will lose a shade of that hesitation for next time...

Read the full post...