Sunday, July 29, 2007

Fun at Mr. Steak

Written by J from Thinking About

Back in 1984, I worked as a waitress at a Mr. Steak restaurant in Stockton, California. To say that the workplace was different then than it is now would be an understatement...or perhaps it was working at a restaurant with a bunch of late teen/early 20s people. It was a den of non-p.c. behavior, where no topic was off limits. People asked each other all of the time about their sex lives, and wanted a lot of detail. The manager of the place, Robert, stayed above the talk, and was a fairly professional guy, and for some reason was not well liked by the corporate suits at the regional office. I have no idea why.

There was an assistant manager there, Ken, who liked to joke with all of us in a fairly earthy manner. Not so much asking us about our sex lives or anything like that, but he liked to call us all names, like Bitch or whatever. We swore back at him, told him to F**K off, and it was all laughed at, all good fun. Good fun until I learned a lesson about leaving behind a paper trail. Didn't I grow up in the time of Watergate? Shouldn't I have known not to leave anything behind that might incriminate myself in any way? Perhaps, but I didn't.

In order to show what a friendly place Mr. Steak was, we were supposed to write "Thank-You" on the back of our ticket. Maybe go out of the way and put a little smiley face and our name.

Employees could order food off of the menu at a substantial discount, but a ticket had to be written up for them just the same, for inventory purposes. One day, Ken ordered dinner, and I was his waitress, and on a lark, on the back of his ticket, I wrote, "Fuck-You, J" with a little smiley face next to it. I handed it to him, he had a good laugh when he noticed, and that was that. Or so we thought.

A few days later, the boss, Robert, called me into the office at the end of my shift. He had been watching me all evening, and I foolishly thought he was impressed by what a hard worker I was. He had come into the restaurant when it was a franchise being taken over by corporate, and he had given us all pretty decent training on giving good customer service, etc. We had gone from the type of restaurant with wine in a box, to the type of restaurant where we opened wine bottles tableside. Anyway, I thought he was impressed with how well I had learned the lessons about waitressing, so I wasn't worried when called to the office. Then he pulled out the check. The one that said , "Fuck You, J :) " on it. Nice. He asked me about it, and I told him the story. He said that was unfortunate, because the regional manager had stopped by, and on one of those unhappy coincidences, happened to spy my ticket. There was nothing else on the ticket to indicate that it had not gone to a customer. Robert was not in strong standing with this guy, and did not feel safe standing up for me himself. So I was fired. That very day, I went from feeling like I was doing my job very well, making decent tips and representing Mr. Steak well, to out on my ear.

What did I learn from my stupidity? You never know who might be listening, watching, paying attention to what you say or do at work. Don't say or do anything that you don't want your boss, or his boss, or even HIS boss, to find out about. It was a painful lesson to learn, but perhaps good timing, because that branch of Mr. Steak closed down completely a few months later. I felt like I had the last laugh after all. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I like is the Karmic theme in this story (i.e., they went out of business a few months after they fired you). It's too bad the regional manager came in when he did, but you're so right about being careful about what you say or write at work. With computers and people using their work email for personal stuff, people have to be even more careful because all those webpages you visit and every email you send and receive are basically recorded by your employer. So instead of a piece of paper that can get you fired, there could be a whole email thread that'll get you the boot. Damn computers!

Anonymous said...

Man, fuck Mr. Steak!

Jen E said...

Great article! Thanks for the reminder to watch what we "document".

Anonymous said...

I would have totally done something like this "back in the day"! Where's their sense of humor? I guess you did have the last laugh.

The Farmers Wife said...

Seriously? They sacked you for that? No way! Fools.

Maude Lynn said...

Can't believe they fired you for that!

Anonymous said...

Never belived in such a [url=http://moourl.com/zdnt4]Wonderfull.[/url]

Help me and i get pics unlocked

Featured Post and Blog of the Week



You Are Here

by Amie from
MammaLoves...


You did well in school to get into college. You tried to get by well enough in college to be attractive to an employer or graduate program, and along the way you may have opened your heart a time or two. Maybe you even found true love.

With a foot in the door, the first years of work were the time to
prove your mettle once again. Promotions, raises all with the goal to secure your future will allow you to settle down, buy a house, travel, commit to a relationship, have kids or not. In what feels like a blink of an eye, your future is here.

And now what?


Read the full post...

Chance Favors Only Those Who Court Her

by Debbie from Missives from Suburbia


After a less-than-friendly divorce, I was on the market again. Seizing the opportunity, my friends scoured their address books and Palm Pilots for single men and set me up on blind date after blind date. My reaction to most of those dates was, "I call these people my FRIENDS?" One of my real friends suggested Match.com, and given how much I love the Internet, I gave it a go.

A couple months of e-dating passed by in a blink. It was fun, but so far nothing meaningful had hit my radar, and my match inventory was starting to run low. You see, Match.com "matches" you to people based on a list of your requirements, and I'd pretty much run through all my existing matches who didn't seem psycho or stoned, based on their profiles.

Then, one day, I got an email from a guy who was not a match by my standards...

Read the full post...

A Lost Opportunity

by John from Altjiranga Mitjina


Trying to break in as a writer in the comic book industry can be a bit like the one legged man in a butt kicking contest. Every step forward you make means you land on your butt after your kick forward. Comic books are a visual medium. An artist can bring a portfolio to an editor at a convention and said editor can sit there and look at it within minutes and decide if this artist is worthy of working on the newest issue of Stupendous Man or not. Trying being a hopeful writer handing over a script to this same editor at a busy comic convention. You’ll be lucky if the editor agrees to take the script and promise that they’ll look at it later. Most times the hopeful writer is told to send for their submission guidelines and mail in their proposal.

The best way for a writer is to find an aspiring artist and hook up...

Read the full post...

Jesus Toothpaste!

by Karen Rayne from Adolescent Sexuality Today with Karen Rayne, Ph.D.


This weekend I went out of town, leaving my family to fend for themselves. On Saturday, my darling husband took my two darling daughters – 6 and 3 years old – to what he heard was a fun new toy store in town. Great, right?

They walk in the door, and the 6-year-old pipes up with “Look, Daddy! Jesus toothpaste!” He takes one look, puts one hand on each girl’s shoulder, and does a 180 out of the store. It may be a fun new toy store, but it’s intended clientele does not include the under-13 set.

When I got home on Sunday, the first thing the 6-year-old says to me was, “Guess what! We saw Jesus toothpaste!” I blinked, figuring I hadn’t heard her correctly. Regrettably, I had...

Read the full post...

A biker, a green thumb, a cracked hand, and a Queen.

by Megan from Velveteen Mind, originally guest posted at Queen of Spain


A random biker on a Harley-Davidson took my picture last week. What I wanted to do was take his picture, but I hesitated. Now, instead of a photo of some random biker holding an i am bossy.com bumper sticker, all I have is a lame photo of me holding the bumper sticker and the mental picture of him riding off into the sunset, never to be seen again.

Okay, it wasn’t as romantic or dramatic as that. It was nine in the morning and there was no sunset.

This is not the first time that I have hesitated to seize an opportunity. I don’t expect it will be the last. However, I hope with each lost chance for something intriguing, I will lose a shade of that hesitation for next time...

Read the full post...