Monday, June 11, 2007

Maybe When She Retires I'll Take Over the Show

Written by Meg from Simply Nutmeg


I think the whole world goes to sleep at night dreaming of being interviewed by Oprah. Actually, I've had both the dream and the nightmare. In the dream I'm being interviewed about my smash-hit memoir that is actually true. In the nightmare I'm on the show about the mothers who have lost everything because of their methadone addiction. Here are a few more shows I don't want to be on:

  • Mothers who lose their children at carnivals and never find them again
  • The very bad hair make-over show
  • Women who find out after ten blissful years of marriage that their husband is really a woman
  • The interview from prison show

I wouldn't mind if my fifteen minutes of fame came from being on one of these episodes:

  • Moms who win the lottery even though they don't play
  • Women over 40 who look 25
  • Millionaire mom who saves the world with her blog
  • Women who find babies in baskets on their front porches
  • The 'how we got him impeached' show

I'm not in it for just the fame. I want Andre to do my hair too. I also want to be seen by all my old boyfriends who will obviously smack the sides of their heads and say, "Why did I ever let that one go?" (Too late, Dude!)

I'm sure if I made it on the show for whatever the reason, Oprah would think I was just the best, and that would be the end of Gail. We'd talk every night on the phone and I'd tell her what I thought of the day's episode. I'd tell her not to wear those clingy tan pants anymore and she would thank me for the advice. And listen. I'd most likely have to take over editing the magazine. She'd start leaving witty comments on my blog and I would subsequently beat Dooce in the Bloggers Choice Awards. Hell, I'd even beat Rosie.

In the mean time, my book would sell two billion copies and I would be invited on a world book-signing tour. I'd bring along the whole family, but I'd need to hire a couple of British nannies (ugly ones because I'm not ending up on the show about women who lose their men to the nanny.) I'd get to sleep in every day. Life would be sweet.

Maybe she'll interview me because I wrote a funny little blog post for TOPBLOGMAG. One can dream, right?

A writer, editor, teacher, and mom to four little menches, Meg dreams big every day at www.simplynutmeg.com.

7 comments:

Lara said...

when my books are bestsellers, i'll totally be interviewed by oprah. and it'll be awesome. :)

Not From Lapland said...

About time someone told her about those tan pants.

Go you, oh and can you drop in a good word whilst you're there? Cheers.

Amanda said...

Hmmm, turns out your real life and your in your dreams life both appeal to me. Guess I'll continue on my ascent to being you when I grow up.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, growing up and being me - classic non sequitur, Amanda!

Maude Lynn said...

Love this post! Sounds like the perfect plan!

Anonymous said...

I've typed and posted 4 times and it still doesn't show!

I said, A girl must have her dreams to build toward reality. Go girl!

Bobby C said...

Thankss for sharing

Featured Post and Blog of the Week



You Are Here

by Amie from
MammaLoves...


You did well in school to get into college. You tried to get by well enough in college to be attractive to an employer or graduate program, and along the way you may have opened your heart a time or two. Maybe you even found true love.

With a foot in the door, the first years of work were the time to
prove your mettle once again. Promotions, raises all with the goal to secure your future will allow you to settle down, buy a house, travel, commit to a relationship, have kids or not. In what feels like a blink of an eye, your future is here.

And now what?


Read the full post...

Chance Favors Only Those Who Court Her

by Debbie from Missives from Suburbia


After a less-than-friendly divorce, I was on the market again. Seizing the opportunity, my friends scoured their address books and Palm Pilots for single men and set me up on blind date after blind date. My reaction to most of those dates was, "I call these people my FRIENDS?" One of my real friends suggested Match.com, and given how much I love the Internet, I gave it a go.

A couple months of e-dating passed by in a blink. It was fun, but so far nothing meaningful had hit my radar, and my match inventory was starting to run low. You see, Match.com "matches" you to people based on a list of your requirements, and I'd pretty much run through all my existing matches who didn't seem psycho or stoned, based on their profiles.

Then, one day, I got an email from a guy who was not a match by my standards...

Read the full post...

A Lost Opportunity

by John from Altjiranga Mitjina


Trying to break in as a writer in the comic book industry can be a bit like the one legged man in a butt kicking contest. Every step forward you make means you land on your butt after your kick forward. Comic books are a visual medium. An artist can bring a portfolio to an editor at a convention and said editor can sit there and look at it within minutes and decide if this artist is worthy of working on the newest issue of Stupendous Man or not. Trying being a hopeful writer handing over a script to this same editor at a busy comic convention. You’ll be lucky if the editor agrees to take the script and promise that they’ll look at it later. Most times the hopeful writer is told to send for their submission guidelines and mail in their proposal.

The best way for a writer is to find an aspiring artist and hook up...

Read the full post...

Jesus Toothpaste!

by Karen Rayne from Adolescent Sexuality Today with Karen Rayne, Ph.D.


This weekend I went out of town, leaving my family to fend for themselves. On Saturday, my darling husband took my two darling daughters – 6 and 3 years old – to what he heard was a fun new toy store in town. Great, right?

They walk in the door, and the 6-year-old pipes up with “Look, Daddy! Jesus toothpaste!” He takes one look, puts one hand on each girl’s shoulder, and does a 180 out of the store. It may be a fun new toy store, but it’s intended clientele does not include the under-13 set.

When I got home on Sunday, the first thing the 6-year-old says to me was, “Guess what! We saw Jesus toothpaste!” I blinked, figuring I hadn’t heard her correctly. Regrettably, I had...

Read the full post...

A biker, a green thumb, a cracked hand, and a Queen.

by Megan from Velveteen Mind, originally guest posted at Queen of Spain


A random biker on a Harley-Davidson took my picture last week. What I wanted to do was take his picture, but I hesitated. Now, instead of a photo of some random biker holding an i am bossy.com bumper sticker, all I have is a lame photo of me holding the bumper sticker and the mental picture of him riding off into the sunset, never to be seen again.

Okay, it wasn’t as romantic or dramatic as that. It was nine in the morning and there was no sunset.

This is not the first time that I have hesitated to seize an opportunity. I don’t expect it will be the last. However, I hope with each lost chance for something intriguing, I will lose a shade of that hesitation for next time...

Read the full post...